Tuesday 7 October 2014

Disappointing Products #1


Its only natural that from time to time certain beauty items leave us feeling slightly underwhelmed, as you can see I have accumulated a little collection of exactly that so here I am with my first 'Disappointing Products' post.


John Frieda Go Blonder Shampoo.
First up as a disappointing product is this shampoo from John Frieda which is part of the Go Blonder range (quick disclaimer that I have actually used an entire bottle of this and the conditioner up - it will soon be in an empties, they were purchased in a 3 for 2!) At first I was super impressed at how this shampoo seemed to really lighten my blonde locks up in between visits to the hairdressers. I even included this in a favourites post -oops. But the long term impact of using this shampoo and conditioner duo over the summer months has not been so great on my hair. It completely dried the ends up and after each wash it was so tangled it was borderline unmanageable. I think that this could be ok to use occasionally if you wanted to achieve lighter locks but there is no way that this should be used as a regular product as its far too harsh and damaging on your hair.

Maybelline Super Stay Gel Nail Colours.
I've already written a post on my blog about how I was hugely underwhelmed by the Maybelline Super Stay Gel nail colours, but I thought I'd include them here for those who didn't see that. I was definitely sucked in to the hype surrounding these, everyone was claiming that they really did last 7 days bla bla bla... well they certainly didn't for me. I don't even think these gave me 7 hours before they begun to chip so I'm not sure how people were getting them to last 7 days. Sure the colours are pretty but there are plenty of other brands with good colour ranges and better wear time.

Benefit High Brow.
Ehhh this product really didn't work for me. For those of you who don't know what High Brow is its basically a highlighting pencil that is designed for use under the eyebrows to create the illusion of a more arched brow. Sounds good in principal but the colour is all wrong for me. It honestly looks ridiculous whenever I wear it, its a milky pink colour that just does not sit right against my skin tone. When I swatched it on my hand it seemed fine and I even got the girl at the counter to apply it for me, it was just when I got it home that it all went wrong. I think the reason I couldn't get on with it was because I didn't feel like it blended very easily due to the crayon like texture - I tried with a few brushes plus my finger and couldn't get it to blend out nicely and so the highlighted area looked a little too obvious plus the colour wasn't really right for my skin. I guess for someone with a different skin tone and a little more patience with blending this could work, but its not for me.

 
The Body Shop Vitamin E Sorbet.
Given that I'm a huge lover of TBS particularly the Vitamin E skincare range I was pretty excited about the concept of this sorbet, but in all honesty I just found it to be a moisturiser with an off consistency. It smells pleasant and whenever I rub a bit on the back of my hand it does feel nice and refreshing but when I put it on my face I don't get that same boost of freshness which I find odd. The main reason I disliked this product was that it made my makeup apply all weirdly afterwards which put me right off it. I would apply this, wait for it to sort of dry off and then go in with Benefit's The Porefessional and it would make the primer turn all crumbly and it felt like I had put some sort of weird exfoliator on my skin or something. I may use this as a moisturiser for days round the house when I don't plan on wearing any makeup but otherwise I was pretty underwhelmed by this.
 
The Body Shop Honey Bronze Oil and Lipbalm.
Over the summer I purchased the Honey Bronze set I really like the idea of the dry oil to give your skin a nice golden bronze iridescence, but one thing was hugely off putting about this for me and that was the smell. I think this is far too scented and its so overpowering that it becomes unpleasant. I can't even bare to look at it as the strong smell has really spoilt it for me, you can't even mask it with a perfume for fear of spoiling your perfume too. I aso wasn't wowed by the corresponding lipbalm as its too glittery and therefore doesn't feel very comfortable on the lips, it doesn't really provide any moisturising benefits so it seems a bit pointless, although the packaging is cute.
 
Chloé Perfume.
Oh Chloé I really didn't want to include you, I really didn't, however I'd be lying if I left you out. Now back in the Spring I had a little love affair with Chloé and I thought I'd found my signature scent bla bla bla, and while I can't dispute that the smell of this perfume is beautiful and I still love it - look what has happened to my bottle! After raving about how chic and lovely the packaging of the bottle was, the silver bit around the top became all tarnished and disgusting. I'd barely even had it a few months when it went like this which I do not think is very good for a perfume with a price tag like Chloé's - I've since read over bloggers reviews that they had experienced the same problem with the bottle too. I know with a perfume its not about the packaging but I'm a sucker for packaging as I collect perfume and in all honesty this just looks horrible now and has been hidden away in disgust in a draw.
 
QOTD: Have any products left you disappointed recently? Have you tried any of these products and had a different result? I'd love to know!
 
 


7 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see that the chloe packaging tarnished, as it's known for looking so pretty that's such a shame.I tried high brow in the past and although it's workable with a little bit of blending (okay, a lot of blending) there are definitely way better products on the market (in fact, just literally use a light coloured eyeshadow!)

    Sammy xo.

    littlefickleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I absolutely loved the bottle before it turned all yucky! I do put my dislike to High Brow down to not being patient enough haha but as you say far better products out there really and its not the cheapest either is it?
      x

      Delete
  2. I got the high brow pencil in two shades! The pink one has kind of sat in my cupboard as I can't work with it either but theres a shimmery champagney colour one that is way better! I've been using that one regularly, as well as using it for a highlighter on my cheeks too xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend got that one at the same time - I definitely wish I'd gone for that one instead! x

      Delete
  3. I find it so refreshing to find beauty posts that aren't all 'beauty products can do no wrong'. I recently tried L'oreal Elvive Extraordinary oil shampoo and conditioner, they were awful! Made my hair so greasy.
    Great post :)

    Laura

    http://confessionalprofessionaldramaqueen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I agree its good to get a balance of negatives and positives in isn't it? I always look out for these types of posts!
      x

      Delete
  4. Great post, so detailed :) I was disappointed with Zoella's Fizz Bar recently, maybe I just had high hopes but it wasn't worth the money at all.

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)