Sunday 28 September 2014

Fragrance Focus: Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud



 I truly love those days in the year where the seasons are on the brink of change once again. You can see glimmers of the new season arriving in the colours on the trees, catch a hint of it in the way the light becomes slowly darker or brighter day by day. Other times you can just sense it in the air around you. Autumn has to be one of my favourite seasons, if not my favourite... although I'm pretty sure I say that about all the seasons at some point. However there is just something I find incredibly stunning about autumn, and the idea of crisp autumn leaves falling on the ground brings me more excitement than I care to admit to.

With the changing seasons comes a shift in your own moods and tastes, and one product that has had me truly anticipate autumn has to be this Cologne from Jo Malone. Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud is part of the Cologne Intense line, which offer a slightly more decadent range of colognes with richer ingredients. Slightly more expensive than the normal range from Jo Malone, the Cologne intense perfumes come in these exquisite yet somehow simplistic black bottles that look so stand out on your dressing table. I am obsessed with the packaging of all Jo Malone's products to be honest.

Velvet Rose & Oud is a rich and sensual cologne perfect to relish yourself in during the fall. I didn't really fall in love with Red Roses from Jo Malone of which I had a couple of tester samples for. When I tried Red Roses on I would find myself thinking, 'it needs something else' I don't know, it just didn't work for me which is surprising as I love rose scents. So when I saw the Velvet Rose & Oud I was quite excited to have a smell of it.

Velvet Rose. Not just any old rose but velvet, and yes I really do think that the silkiness of the velvet in its name comes across. First of all you get this elegant, smooth flow of roses followed by a darker edge that is slightly woody courtesy of the Oud. There is definitely something extremely enticing about this perfume, especially as it heats on the skin creating a musky concoction to swoon over.

A scent best saved for the cooler months so you can fully enjoy the richness of its ingredients, and not really something you would want to wear on a day to day basis as it is so heady and sensual - not to mention you want to keep an item like this a little bit precious. This is ideal for evening wear, or for special occasions. As you may know, Jo Malone encourages fragrance combining meaning mixing up your own creation of scents and I have tried pairing this with my English Pear and Freesia which I think freshens this Cologne right up and achieves a far more day time appropriate scent. I'm excited to explore this fragrance some more in the upcoming months....
 
QOTD: What has you excited for autumn?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)