Tuesday 24 June 2014

Staying In Shape On Your Summer Break

Summer holidays seem to be a very apt subject of late, with everyone in the process of either booking them or jetting off somewhere exciting. I booked a girls holiday with my friend just this weekend for September which I can't wait for! So when Vegas.com contacted me last week about sharing a post on my blog about keeping in shape while travelling I was all up for it! Here are some of the things that I keep in mind to help me stay in shape while on a summer break.

Incorporate Sight-Seeing with Staying Active.
I don't know about you but when I'm on holiday my priority is always to see as much local culture and as many scenic sights as possible. To incorporate that with keeping active this for me will often involve seeing as much as I can on foot: discovering picturesque towns or villages, taking a walk along a sandy strip of beach or an evening stroll to burn off that pudding (and to maybe stumble across the nearest cocktail bar...) Your travel companies will do their best to tell you where to do your sight seeing, and if you're lucky enough to go somewhere particularly fancy like Las Vegas the Aria Hotel actually offers a hotel hike for those eager fit-travellers out there!

Keep It Moderate.
One thing that I always bear in mind when I go on holiday is that I am technically on a break so whatever activities I do to stay in shape are always moderate, especially if I am in another country with a considerable climate difference to what I'm used to in chilly old England! I don't feel bad for going easy on myself on my holiday - I think its good to allow yourself a week off especially if you do work out 5/6 days a week like I do. This doesn't mean to say that moderate exercise isn't beneficial, particularly walking as I mentioned above is still a great way to get your heart rate up while working a number of different muscles to squeeze in your aerobic activity for the day.

Go Swimming.
I love to take advantage of the pool or sea at my doorstep when I'm on holiday. Even though my gym has a swimming pool I rarely get round to using it these days but I do really like swimming especially when I'm on holiday. Swimming is another great way of keeping your body moving while you're on your summer break. Nothing sets the scene of a perfect holiday chill out than doing a few lengths in the pool to cool off from the sunshine.

Create A Gym-less Workout.
If I'm really feeling motivated to keep in shape I'll set myself quater of an hour aside to do a gym-less workout and by that I mean a quick workout that you could do pretty much anywhere. This could involve anything from holding a plank, doing tricep diops, sit ups or push ups. This would be a short burst to feel the burn but wouldn't get in the way of the rest of my day so I would still be free to relax or explore.

How would you stay in shape on your summer break? Share your tips with the hashtag #TravelFit2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)